Friday, January 28, 2011

Hobby Checkpoint Reached!

45 Clanrat Wych conversions have been finished this month, and I am on-target for completing my "Kabal  of the Fursaken" by NOVA.  Self pat-on-the-back!

If you couldn't already tell, I like to plan out my hobby projects in a fair amount of detail.  While I won't spell it out here in fear of falling behind, I have a schedule in my mind for my Skaven / Dark Eldar project, and I am happy to be following my planned schedule.

This large 45-man unit was not only the largest chunk of my project, but also the most conversion-intensive work.  While it is true that my Ravagers and Dais of Destruction will be a lot of work, repeating a fairly -involved conversion 45 times, while also competing in a tournament (Conflict GT!), has made me one busy modeler. 

In listening to the last episode of The Overlords podcast, I heard one of the hosts of The Heroic 28's mention that he wanted to build a Dark Eldar / Skaven army.   Between this news, and my ongoing discussions with Jay of The Gamers Lounge, I am pumped to recognize that the idea of representing such crafty back-stabbing villains with filthy vermin, has come to more than just me.  It makes me think I have been on the right track, and my ridiculously expensive order of last October was a step in the right direction.

I am also glad that I was able to complete this phase of the collection just before I administer my professional midterm exams.  I am about to be swamped with grading, so it is nice to have a few days away from the glue fumes and exacto-cuts of the modeling table.  Of course, even as I write this, I can hear the plastic calling to me...

Lastly, I am excited to have a bit of an announcement in the works.  While I will not spill the beans just yet, I am happy to say that this Ten Inch blog, will soon be reaching out to larger horizons.  The past three months have been quite a wild ride.  Aside from a homework blog for my classes, I have never maintained a website.  The task of posting three times a week, and attempting to provide some worth-while reading, has been both a burden as well as a driving element.  I would like to thank all of you who read my blog, and I assure you that TenInchTemplate is not going anywhere:  It's just that my writing and hobby perspective will soon be available at more than one web address.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is really something to be proud of! I can't wait to see them painted...a tip as well: guitar strings make great tubing. I'm sure if that's what you used, but I thought I would just write that down and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I also agree with you on the guitar strings. The ribbing is pretty great for detail. I actually clip bits from my bass guitar now and then for accents, like the tubing on my renegade Ogryn transport. For these models though, I used a wire wrapped in rubber, as I wanted the tubing to be flat and shiny, in contrast to the rusty and clunky canisters of warp-chem.

    ReplyDelete