Friday, December 24, 2010
Metal Bloodcrushers and Conversions: How to spend two weeks on eight models.
Knowing the in-game power of a unit of Bloodcrushers, I knew that my Daemon army was going to need a few. By playing the "wound allocation roulette" game, it would make sense to run these guys in units of four. Hence, the eight Bloodcrushers. While the metal models certainly are not cheap, I was able to buy many of them from a friend who had given up on building a Daemon army, so the eight models were not unreasonably pricey.
Conveniently, three or four of the Bloodcrushers were from the Khorne Champion kit, so there was already a bit of variety in the group. To add to the variety, it was quite easy, albeit time-consuming, to file down the "neck area of each Bloodcrusher, so when I attached the heads, the beasts would be looking in different directions. A bit of putty filled in the uneven gaps in the neckline, and the unit really began to have some variety. Unfortunately, this was not enough for me.
I used a dremmel to grind out the bodies of a few of the Bloodcrushers, and then used these new gaps to reposition the attachable legs. While this left me with some interesting cavities on the bodies of the beasts, I was able to not only fill these with putty, but do some minimal sculpting to continue the lines and textures which hid the putty work. This allowed the units to contain some Bloodcrushers that appeared to be galloping forward, ready to, well, Bloodcrush.
Necronomicon, because I thought that these would surely aid in the summoning of daemons. Also, as I said before, I try to avoid going overboard with imagery. "Skulls and Flames and Blood and Awesome" doesn't really do it for me. It is also worth mentioning that by leaving the standards unglued, I can easily remove these upgrades, and this leaves me with more flexibility. For example, if I wanted to run the unit as a group of eight, with one icon, I can do so.
The final "rider" issue I had to deal with, was marking out which Daemon had the "Fury of Khorne" upgrade. The trouble with a Chaos Daemon army, is that there are many upgrades and abilities that are hard to model on a figure, due to their esoteric nature. How the hell can you make a Daemonette model with a "Transfixing Gaze"? Anyway, the solution I came up with for the collection, was to denote such models by adding something special to their base. While it is true that my Vraksian Militia is all based on the great Dragon Forge bases which contain a plethora of battlefield debris, the vast majority of my Daemons are on basic GW slottabases, with simple sand and flock. This meant that the addition of any embellishment, would truly stand out.
Again, had I known that there would be an easily modified plastic Bloodcrusher kit coming out over the summer, I doubt I would have done all of this work. That said, there is truly something imposing about picking up these models, and feeling just how heavy they are. Call me crazy, but there just seems to be an element of gravity communicated by such weight.
I am off now, to join the ogling masses in viewing the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza, followed by too much French food at one of my favorite restaurants. I hope everyone has a great holiday. Here's to hoping Santa fills all of your stockings with Forgeworld! Just think of the savings of shipping...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. seeing the old and new Juggernaut models together is a quite a contrast. The old ones look downright tame.ReplyDelete
Love them, absolutely love them, of course anything that serves Khorn is a friend of mine but these just take the cake and with the metal models as well... WOW!ReplyDelete
Thanks Grim. I should be going to MT Monday afternoon if you want to get a game in.ReplyDelete
Mark, do you remember the first edition juggernaughts? They looked like robotic pugs. It would be funny to model a bloodthirster "walking" a few of those on chain leashes...
Dude for my Space Goats I made 10 metal juggers. Plus I have 3 left in boxes right now. And I made 5 more plastic ones for my own Daemon army and put together too many for clients and other crazy nonsense.ReplyDelete
I was going to rework my jugger riders on plastic - but said screw it and will just clean em up a bit more. It is just too much work hahah.
But they look sweet.
These are gorgeous. You've done a great job with them. You can also rest easy knowing that yous will stand out from those more sensible types make from the plastic kits. :DReplyDelete
Oh, and how you got them done so fast I have no idea. I normally get stuff like this done in about three to four years...
Pulling runes from Necronomicon is genius. It's when you tell us that they spell something out that we'll be really impressed!
I love the blues by the way. They look great, plenty of depth and contrast.