Monday, October 25, 2010
Skarbrand, the Exiled One
Being a completionist, I had long wanted to create the ENTIRE daemon codex for my collection. In addition to modeling and painting one of each of the greater daemons, I also wanted to create each of the special characters. Skarbrand had been worrying me for a while, as I did not know how to approach the project.
After re-configuring the classic bloodthirster model (sorry about the low res pic),
Bloodthirster, but there was a conflict. I saw the model's whip as an immediate "red flag" as far as breakage goes, and I certainly did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a figure that I would be afraid to touch, much less paint. This led me to the Forgeworld Daemonprince of Khorne model.
The daemonprince itself is far larger than a standard bloodthirster, and has a very appealing aesthetic. While it is true that the fluff for Skarbrand explains that he has two seperate axes of Khorne, and the Daemonprince model only has one, the one axe he has is too cool to leave out. It looks like a cross between an executioner's axe, which would be ideal for collecting skulls, and an awesomely huge pole-axe. That just left the fluff part of Skarbrand's wings, or should I say lack thereof.
According to the daemon fluff, Skarbrand betrayed the god Khorne, and as punishment was cast from the top of the highest mountain in the realm of chaos. As Skarbrand fell in a comet-like corona of fire, his wings were burned off. Very old testament, wouldn't you agree? I needed to find a way to represent this wound in an appropriately dramatic way. One of my favorite GW bits packs that you can buy, are the plastic wings they had cast for their Balrog model. I love these wings, and had already used two pairs when I converted my Harpies (yes, I have tyranids too. And several other absurd collections...). I just tried to make a link to said wings on GW's website, and could not find them! I did however find another assortment of acceptable wings. Alas. Anyway, first, I trimmed down the stems of each balrog wing to make sure they would fit inside of the shoulderblade area on the Daemon Prince model. Then, I took out a power drill, and about five different sized bits. My plan was to drill numerous holes through the wings, in varying sizes, until they looked suitably destroyed and bedraggled. Once I was happy with the pruning job I had done, I tapered off the drilled holes to make them look more natural, then pinned and puttied the wings onto the resin.