Colette Du Bois crew, I found my fingers rich with splinters, and a newfound respect for the compass.
Filling the interior of each beveled base proved to be more challenging than originally anticipated. I first used double-sided foam mounting tape to hold a series of balsa wood strips to a cutting surface. Then, I measured the diameter of the flat part of each base, and drew matching circles on the wood with a compass. I made sure to label not only each board, but also the base that each board was going to be basing. After carving the balsa along the line, I popped the bits of wood out and made a few extra cuts to represent connecting floor-runners. I glued these bits down, and sanded the edges of the wood with a small file.
Lastly, I drilled holes for the nails, and glued pin-heads in place. Please excuse the horrid resolution on the next pic, but I was trying to really show the detail of the nails:
Basing this crew was scaring me, and I am very glad to have finished the surfaces. I wanted each of my Malifaux crews to be presented on unique custom bases that I had created myself, and the idea of sculpting putty into boards was giving me fits. I think that with a little ink and paint, these will do just fine.
The only question that remains, is just how polished the wood should be. I think that a worn-wood stage would be appropriate for Malifaux, but then the only hardwood stages I have ever seen have been maintained with a high gloss. Maybe I should do a little research...