Monday, May 16, 2011

The Goatboy Strikes Back

The oft-maligned Goatboy, of Space Goat fame, has just completed the graphic for the Sabol miniature case that I am assigning to my Kabal of the Fursaken.  Pretty sweet, eh?

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the design he came up with.  I really like the fact that he chose to draw a Skaven as I am representing them, and not just some generic rat-head.  I am eager to receive the work in the mail, and very glad that I had him customize my transport.  I highly recommend his work.  If you have been living under a rock and don't know of Goatboy's work, check out his site and other example work.

As for my own painting, I am currently elbow-deep in rats.  I have planned out the entire scheme for the army, and documented the process on paper, in an effort to maintain uniformity in execution.  Over the weekend, I was able to complete the primary base colors on the fur of 40 out of 75 Skaven in the army.  As I have said in the past, the application of paint isn't very time consuming, just focus consuming.  To me, the planning stages of an army are always the biggest time-sink.  Once the scheme is mapped out, it really is easy enough to turn the whole army into an assembly-line style exercise in self-discipline. 

As for last week's "speed bump", I was able to talk with a good friend of mine, Dave Bower, the owner of Time Warp Comics and Games, and he was very helpful.  Dave has been a "go-to guy" for me for a long time,, whenever I have a question about color.  Dave stares at a test model for a few minutes, then dispenses one or two short sentences of pure wisdom.  I have followed his suggestions concerning my test model, and the finished product REALLY came together and popped.  I will not be posting the finalized scheme just yet, as I want to get my lightbox back in working order to present a much more respectable photo of the direction I will be taking the color of this army. 

Anyway, a big THANK YOU goes out to Goatboy for his work, and Dave Bower for his insight.  Honestly, I am going to have to write some serious liner-notes considering the number of people who have helped me out with this project...

2 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic idea, man! Good on Goatboy for a great design as well. I'm totally going to try something like on my bag :)

    Just, not so skaveny, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there is nothing wrong with Skaveny :)

    Really nice work GB did there.

    Cant wait to see some pics our the Fursaken painted up.

    ReplyDelete