Hey all. Tonight I thought I would post about a topic dear to my heart: Windows without fog. I built two Vendettas in the last few months, and the canopy pieces were the first clear plastic components that I have worked with in years. Not since I left my smudgy fingerprints on the canopy of an Apache helicopter, have I felt the rage and disappointment connected to the modeling hazards of clear plastic. Looking at my two new Vendettas, I could already taste Testor's glue for plastic. And fear.
The first thing I did, was take the clear plastic sprue frames that the canopy comes on, and clip it into several small sticks. Due to a childhood haunted by foggy canopies and last-step mishaps, I wanted to be absolutely sure that the glass would be fog free. I used these small sticks to test several glues that I had on hand, to be absolutely sure of my result.
I already knew the outcome, but I figured I would try the testor's glue for plastic just as a foggy control. I also tested out zapp a gap, and elmer's pva. Believe it or not, both zapp and elmer's glued the clear sticks without any fogging. The testor's glue performed as expected; terribly. The problem was that the elmer's glue did not actually bond very well, so that left zapp a gap. I know what you are thinking, but hey, I tested the zapp for this very reason, and it DID NOT FOG.
Now of course, when I used the zapp a gap to fix the canopies in place, the glass fogged to hell. Damn! This is exactly WHY I tested the glue in the first place!
$20 from horde-o-bits later, I had replaced the foggy glass and canopy frames. I did a bit of research, and found testor's clear parts cement. Well that makes sense!
After ordering the glue, I was excited to give it a try. I found the glue itself to be a bit separated inside of the package, so I had to shake the applicator vigorously. While applying the glue itself, I had little faith in it. The substance was a milky white color, with the consistency of congealed milk. It did not appear sticky. In fact, after applying the glue and holding the components together, I had serious doubts about the effectiveness of the glue. However, I persevered. After leaving the models for 24 hours, I found that the glue has dried perfectly clear, and has made a remarkably sturdy bond. I also found that what little extraneous glue bubbled out along the edges of the bonded components, has dried clear and was virtually invisible.
All in all, I highly recommend this product. If you need something reliable for Valkyrie glass, immolator shields, or even necron gauss tubes, give it a try. Here is some info on the product: